Thursday, October 13, 2011

Everybody loves cake.

I absolutely love cake and it's pretty much the number one thing I'm good at cooking hehe :) I'm hosting a baby shower next week and I wanted to attempt to make cute cupcakes for the shower so I did a trial run today with some Halloween themed cakes. They turned out pretty dang cute if I say so! I do need some different icing tips but this was just a run through!






Ingredients:

1 box of halloween themed funfetti cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
24 Halloween themed cupcake liners

Buttercream Frosting:

1 cup vegetable shortening (I used Crisco)
1 stick of butter
1 teaspoon of clear vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
1 package food coloring
1 icing bag
1 coupler
Assorted frosting decorating tips
* all frosting acessories ie. coupler, bag can be purchased at Walmart, Michaels, any craft store.

Bake cupcakes per directions on the box.

** You will need an electric mixer for the icing. I used a cheapo hand mixer.

For buttercream frosting: Cream vegetable shortening and butter together until mixed well. Add vanilla. Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time until mixed. In between adding cups scrape the sides of the bowl with a spoon to get all sugar combined with the butter/shortening mix. After last cup of sugar is added beat on medium until icing is light and fluffy. For orange color I added 13 drops yellow coloring and 6 drops red coloring to desired color.

I then took the icing and placed it in the icing bag with a small round tip and circled the top of the cupcake to desired icing presentation.

I hope y'all enjoy them and Happy Fall Y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Those look great. If you are looking for the realllly fat tip like they use at twist cupcakes look at Michael's. Hobby Lobby does not have the huge ones. I looked everywhere when we had Peyton's Birthday party.

    ReplyDelete